Election for Directorate 2022 - 2024
Nominations for Directorate 2022 - 2024
In the Metropolitan District, four (4) members are seeking election. They are:
- Welsh, Raymond
- Mangafas, Gabriel
- Curby, Norman
- Hooper, Michael
Three (3) Directors are required.
Candidates have been informed that “Ballot order by lot” will be conducted in the Boardroom of the NSW GBOTA office on 27th April at 10am. And they can have a representative at the proceeding if you wish.
The draw will be done by Mr. Dennis English Returning Officer. Once completed the candidates will be notified of the order as soon as possible.
At 10:05am this morning (Wednesday 27th April 2022) Mr Dennis English the Returning Office and witnessed by Mr. Wieke Wilandouw, NSW GBOTA Finance Manager, completed the Ballot order by lot draw.
The results are as follows and will appear on the Ballot paper in the same order as listed below.
1. Raymond Welsh
2. Gabriel (Bill) Mangafas
3. Norman Curby
4. Michael Hooper
Active Owner/Trainer since 1970’s. Now retired but previously employed for 44 years by the state government in the industrial relations field. Worked in number of different roles that included policy, administrative and regulatory responsibilities. Member of the Bankstown/Georges River branch and GBOTA board member for the last 4 years.
MANGAFAS, GABRIEL (BILL)
I am very proud to have been involved in the Greyhound industry for over 45 years.
During this period I have been a ;
- A long term owner/trainer and have enjoyed success in feature races.
- Recruited numerous people to the industry.
- Developed strong professional relationships with key industry participants.
- Been a NSW GBOTA member for over 40 years and have served as Chairman for 10 years and Treasurer for 5 years and in 2006 was award a Distinguished Service Award and in 2010 was made a life member of the NSW GBOTA.
- In 1992 I was the principal instigator of the Camden branch and was Chairman for 4 years.
Whilst a Director I was;
- A member of the Wentworth Park Management committee & trustee of the Wentworth Park sporting complex.
- Inaugural board member of GRNSW 2003- 2012 and Delegate for Metropolitan and Provincial racing.
During my time as Chairman the Association completed;
- Acquisitions – Bathurst, Maitland, Gunnedah and the NCA race dates
- TAB race meeting expansion – 2002 – 172 meetings to 2010 – 364 meetings.
- Significant capital upgrades at all Association tracks.
- Fund raising for Rural firefighters due to the devasting fires and assistance was also provided to other numerous charities.
In 1971 I became an Owner and joined the GBOTA in 1978 where I have held many positions in the City Branch such as Treasurer, Chairman, then MDA Delegate for many years and received a Distinguished Service Award in 2004 and became Chairman of the MDA for 4 years before becoming a Director
I still hold a Public Trainers Licence and my family was involved in Breeding and Owning Greyhounds
I am currently an Owner of a Racing Greyhound and registered with GWIC
My Qualifications are Carpenter and Joiner, Manager at Senior Level in the Building Construction and went to Uni of NSW to get my Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety and Management through The National Safety Council of Australia where I obtained excellent communication and negotiation skills which allowed me to become a Construction Safety Manager
In my current term as a Director, I have achieved along with the help of my fellow Directors:
NSW GBOTA signage on the presentation area
- Multipurpose advertising sign above the 520 boxes and new semaphore boards at all GBOTA Tracks
- Achieved probationary handlers’ licence for young participants with the help of Kristy and GWIC
- Modifying Appin greyhound training facilities
I have been a GBOTA member for 21 years. Originally held positions within the Leichhardt/Annandale branch, point score, auditor and MDA delegate. Headed multiple branch fund raising events. Served as MDA delegate and elected to MDA Secretary and Treasurer. Initiated formal meetings between a MDA delegation and GRNSW. Formerly served the Richmond greyhound Club as a Committee member and served that club through the challenges of Covid. I Have been a licensed public greyhound trainer for 30 years. I was a member of the NSW police force. Employed by the NSW TAB and Currently, owner of my own painting business.
Nominations for Directorate Election Declared Click here.
The NSW Greyhound Breeders, Owners & Trainers’ Association Ltd
Declaration of Poll – Ballot for Directors 2022 -2024
The election for Directors of the Association concluded on May 27, 2022 when ballots were
declared in the Metropolitan District of the Association.
Following the declaration of these ballots the following Directors were elected for the two-year period from June 1, 2022 to May 31, 2024 (inclusive).
Elections are not required in the following Districts, as the following Directors have nominated unopposed, and will be appointed to a further term as from June 1, 2022.
In the South Coast and Southern Tablelands District
- Ross Penney
In the Newcastle and Hunter River District
- Minter, Gary
- Young, Bryan
In the Western District
- Harris, Damian
In the Riverina District
- William Schwencke
In the Northern Rivers District
- Joe Cotroneo
In the North and North Western District
- Geoffrey Rose